giovedì 8 settembre 2016

Best Actress in a Supporting Role 2005: Ranking

5. Frances McDormand in North Country
Frances McDormand gives a perfectly fine performance that is both funny and touching, but the extremely clichéd nature of the role prevents her from becoming anything more than quite good. 
Best scene: Glory finds out she is not a member of the board anymore.

4. Catherine Keener in Capote 
Catherine Keener makes the most out of her limited role thanks to her excellent chemistry with Philip Seymour Hoffman, and even if she isn't given the time and focus she deserves her subtle portrayal certainly adds to the film. 
Best scene: Her conversation with Truman at the premiere of To Kill a Mockingbird.

3. Michelle Williams in Brokeback Mountain
Williams doesn't get a lot of screen-time but she leaves a remarkable impression believably portraying Alma's transition from loving and unknowing to bitter and resented. She might not be the best thing about Brokeback Mountain but she's part of what makes it great.
Best scene: Alma confronts Ennis about his affair with Jack.

2. Rachel Weisz in The Constant Gardener
Rachel Weisz is absolutely terrific making Tessa much more than a plot device: she is fierce, passionate and charming and shares a beautiful chemistry with Fiennes. It's a fantastic, compelling performance that haunts the whole movie.
Best scene: Tessa convinces Sandy to give her the letter.

1. Amy Adams in Junebug
Amy Adams gives a phenomenal performance in Junebug, wonderfully blending comedy and drama. She is hilarious at portraying Ashley's child-like naivety and spontaneity, but she is also heartbreaking as she portrays her inner fears and vulnerabilities. It's an enchanting portrayal from a terrific actress.
Best scene: Her breakdown at the hospital.


Honorable Omissions: Emily Watson is amazing in The Proposition, showing the quiet storm of emotions behind Martha's controlled, reserved façade: her monologue in the bathtub is among the best acted scenes of 2005. Michelle Monaghan delivers a wonderful performance in Kiss Kiss Bang Bang: with her unique, wonderful voice and terrific timing, she's scene-stealing, charming and funny while turning the potentially thin role of Harmony in a three-dimensional person. Maria Bello is devastating in History of Violence and she's quite striking as she portrays Edie's progressive loss of faith in her husband. Scarlett Johansson is fantastic in Match Point: she is alluring and charismatic in the beginning, and then does a great job at portraying Nora's growing neediness, jealousy and hysteria. Maggie Gyllenhaal is a bright spot in the otherwise flawed Happy Endings, bringing the right amount of charm and slyness to the role of the seductive, manipulative gold-digger. Tilda Swinton makes for a brilliant villain in The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe, showing the Witch's cold-hearted nature behind her apparently gentle and warm demeanor. I sort of hated Broken Flowers, which I thought wasted completely a potentially good story, but Jessica Lange's brief performance is excellent: she conveys a lifetime in about ten minutes, making Carmen probably the only character in the movie who truly feels like a real person. Laura Linney is very good in The Squid and the Whale, giving a truly realistic depiction of her imperfect but because of this human and relatable mother. 
Predictions: Congratulations to Calvin Law and GM! You can now choose a year. 
The next year: As requested, 1939.

My Best Supporting Actress Ballot:
  1. Amy Adams, Junebug
  2. Emily Watson, The Proposition - 5/5
  3. Michelle Monaghan, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang - 4.5/5
  4. Maria Bello, A History of Violence - 4.5/5
  5. Scarlett Johansson, Match Point - 4.5/5
  6. Maggie Gyllenhaal, Happy Endings - 4.5/5
  7. Rachel Weisz, The Constant Gardener 
  8. Tilda Swinton, The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe - 4.5/5
  9. Jessica Lange, Broken Flowers - 4/5
  10. Laura Linney, The Squid and the Whale - 4/5

22 commenti:

  1. Great lineup, glad to see Adams as your winner.

    RispondiElimina
    Risposte
    1. As much as I loved Watson, Adams was really the only choice for me. I just love her performance.

      Elimina
    2. I can tell that from your (great) review hahaha

      Elimina
  2. I actually put Monaghan in lead, where she's my win. But great year you've covered Giuseppe. I wouldn't put Bello as high as you do but she is very good, Watson is great and I will most certainly check out Adams.

    RispondiElimina
    Risposte
    1. You should see Adams, I think you'll love her! As for Monaghan, she definitely borders on lead but she feels more like supporting to me. I see Downey Jr. as the only lead in the movie, even if Monaghan gets a lot of screen-time.

      Elimina
  3. Also what did you think of Bill Murray and Jeffrey Wright in Broken Flowers? I didn't mind the film, though I only really liked Lange out of the supporting females, but Murray was really good and Wright was hilarious, I wish the film was just about them.

    RispondiElimina
    Risposte
    1. The reason I hated Broken Flowers is because I think it fails to be funny despite trying really hard at times (Wright is the exception but I'll talk about him down there) and it also fails to be moving or meaningful in any way (Lange is the exception). Aside from Carmen, all of the other love interests of Murray's character are written very poorly: Tilda Swinton and Julie Delpy get to do next to nothing; Sharon Stone's character is a broad cartoon - Stone does actually a decent job at it but I think that the role had potential for more if the screenplay cared to give her a little bit more depth; as for Frances Conroy, she tries her best to add something to her paper-thin role, but she doesn't end up being particularly memorable. The fact that most of these characters are so underwritten makes the whole journey meaningless, which is a true shame as it could have been great. I particularly hated the ending which didn't really feel like an open ending but more like if they really had no idea how to end the movie, and it's deeply unstatisfying. As for the male actors:

      Murray - 3 (Sadly I didn't care much for him either. I thought that his best scenes were the ones in the beginning with Wright as they made for a rather entertaining pairing. In the scenes during his journey, though, I think that Murray kind of fails to find any chemistry with the other ladies, except for Lange, and I think his approach in those scenes is a bit too passive to the point he becomes kind of bland. I do like his portrayal in the final scenes as he portrays well a certain sadness in his character, particularly in his encounter with the boy, but I feel that the terrible ending undercuts his impact)

      Wright - 4 (He and Lange are so good that they seem to come from an entirely different movie. Wright is hilarious in the role and he makes the most out of every single line. He shares a fantastic chemistry with Murray early on and Wright's louder - although never broad - approach works perfectly with Murray's more restrained one. I wish he was in the movie for more as I thought he brought a welcome energy to it whenever he was on screen)

      Elimina
  4. Lastly I'd like to request 1975 if it hasn't been already.

    RispondiElimina
    Risposte
    1. It hasn't been requested yet, and I'm glad you did as I've already seen all of the nominees and I couldn't wait to review them.

      Elimina
  5. i really need to see Junebug! I've seen every other Adams-nominated perf, and for the most part have found her to be a bit boring.

    RispondiElimina
    Risposte
    1. I have to say I generally like Adams a lot, I think she's a terrific, versatile actress. Even if you don't necessarily care for her, I think you'll at least like her in Junebug, she is simply wonderful.

      Elimina
    2. I've got to say I totally agree with you on her, Giuseppe. I tend to think she's (one of) the best thing(s) about any film she's in. Still need to see her here, though.

      Elimina
    3. I meant to add that she shows signs of her future abilities in a short, early appearance in an episode of The West Wing, Manchester Part I.

      Elimina
    4. I haven't seen The West Wing, Manchester Part I, but I'm glad we agree. She is such a wonderful, talented and versatile performer. I think you'll love her in Junebug.

      Elimina
  6. Still need to see Adams. Glad you liked Watson.

    RispondiElimina
    Risposte
    1. Watson is so good in The Proposition, she's an awfully underrated and underused actress.

      Elimina
  7. Questo commento è stato eliminato dall'autore.

    RispondiElimina
  8. Well done, as per usual, Giuseppe.

    I thought I'd chime in on Weisz's performance and Constant Gardener since everybody seems to have an opinion.

    I'd probably go for a 4.5 as well. I have a friend who adores the film, so the first times I saw it he kept asking me what I thought. I must say I'm not the biggest fan. It's certainly not bad, but I never felt as emotionally impacted as the film clearly intends. This is through no fault of Weisz's, though. I initially felt off-put by her, but it's just the nature and personality of her character, which I felt was expertly distilled in the review earlier. I just tend to dislike people who are like that: all emotion-driven, no matter the consequence. But I totally agree she does a terrific job showing that to be not just the cause of the stupid things she does, but an integral part of who she is as an intelligent, compassionate human being.

    RispondiElimina
    Risposte
    1. Thank you very much! I personally liked the movie but I'm so glad you liked Weisz as well. You perfectly summed up the reasons why I think she's such a deserving winner.

      Elimina