mercoledì 19 ottobre 2016

Best Supporting Actress 1994: Jennifer Tilly in Bullets over Broadway

Jennifer Tilly received her only Oscar nomination to date for her performance as Olive Neal in Bullets over Broadway.


Olive Neal is the girlfriend of gangster Nicki Valenti, who agrees to produce David's play at one condition - that Olive will play a part in it. The problem is that Olive as an actress is cringe-worthy and past that she is annoying and demanding. It's actually a much harder role than it seems at first glance: how can an actor portray a bad actor without seeming excessively hammy? How can someone portray a character who is grating and annoying without actually giving a grating performance? Thankfully, Jennifer Tilly seems to be born for this role and perfectly pulls it off. 

With her odd, unique voice that is both raspy and high-pitched, Tilly makes Olive an unforgettable creation that stands as one of the strongest performances in the movie. She perfectly portrays Olive's bratty qualities that make her insufferable at the eyes of the other characters - her Olive is childish, temperamental and selfish, but at the same time she manages to portray these qualities in an extremely entertaining fashion: you never once doubt that the other characters wouldn't be able to stand her but nonetheless there is not a single moment in her performance that isn't an absolute joy for the viewer. How can you just not love her in that scene at her house when she greets David and Julius attempting to look refined and classy while being so obviously not ("Charmed, charmed, charmed")? And she's an absolute hoot in the rehearsal scenes because she makes every single line count ("I'm usually very professional") and I particularly love the moment in which she expresses her questions about her character and her lines ("What is she, retarded?"): it's clear that Olive does not belong in the theatre and Jennifer Tilly's performance and character is so purposefully out of tune with the rest of the scenes that it's just hilarious to watch. And she is excellent at portraying Olive's bad acting: as I mentioned before, it's one of the trickiest parts of her performance but she delivers it extremely well - she makes Olive a properly awkward performer without ever becoming too much. I've read that Jennifer Tilly was the only actor on set to be allowed to improvise - this works perfectly for her performance as it makes Olive an even more unpredictable and explosive character: some of Tilly's best moments are in the small instances in which she talks over the other actors or say something quickly under her breath. I love her chemistry with Chazz Palminteri (who plays her bodyguard, Cheech) - they don't even share that many scenes together but they make their bickering so much fun to witness, particularly when Cheech is helping Olive to memorize her lines (the scene in which they argue because she adds a completely random and out of the place "Ah!" to the script is just priceless and one the movie's highlights, as well as the scene later on in which she practices her "superior laugh"). 

What I admire the most about Tilly's performance is that she manages to be top notch even in parts of the movie I don't even like all that much. For example, I really don't care for the few scenes devoted to Olive's affair with another actor, Warner Purcell (Jim Broadbent), as I don't think they were really necessary but Tilly still shines in those moments, especially in the scene in which she tries to prevent Nick from finding Warner who is hinding in the role - she again is absolutely hilarious and she - and Broadbent to a lesser extent - prevents those scenes from being a waste of time. Also I have several problems with her character's closure: first off, it feels a bit too rushed and secondly it's just way too brutal and the fact that it seems to be supposed to be funny makes it all the more awkward, throwing the movie's tone off balance. Tilly's performance though remains unharmed by this and her performance keeps being terrific until the very end. 

Tilly's performance must have been a surprise back then - she hadn't been nominated to any other award, not even small critics' ones, and I guess many people were expecting Robin Wright or Sally Field from Forrest Gump to be nominated instead of her, or even Jamie Lee Curtis from True Lies or Kirsten Dunst from Interview with the Vampire (who was indeed amazing). Nonetheless I'm extremely happy that the Academy chose to nominate her work was it is a truly hilarious performance from start to finish. She just nails her character and gives a consistently entertaining portrayal - the more I think about her, the more I love her and I would say that there is a possibility I might upgrade her rating in the future. 

4.5/5

17 commenti:

  1. Was a total Surprise for me, since i really expected something else(in a bad way). I need to say that her work/portray is very original and interesting(from the first scene till the end) and she never tries too hard or is never over the top, because with other actress this could have been a total hammy performance. Also her last scene is for me one of the most heartbreaking scenes ive ever seen on Woody Allen film, and its thanks to her great performance, cause Tilly easily make us(the audience) to connect with her character. She is never over the top, or unconvincing or annoying and i like the fact that she actually underplays her character a bit and in a few quiet moments where she exactly shows what her character actually is or is feeling and that she is not a circus but a very sad and lost person who actually seeks for something new(maybe love) in her life. I also have to say that she is never overshadowed by anyone here, and to be honest she left a bit bigger effect on me when the film was over than Wiest(although Weist gave a stronger performance and and she is still a winner for me). On the technical side, her work is more for a 4(especially if we compare her to Diane), but i gave her 4.5 because of the HUGE effect that she leaves on a viewer, and that is also something only great performers could do and in my opinion that effect of a performance after the film is over is almost as important as the actual performance. I actually think if Tilly had a bit more screen time she would have been a real threat to Wiest for the win.

    RispondiElimina
  2. Also this kind of a performance reminded me a bit of Amy Adams in Junebug. A childlish, annoying, awkward and at the same time hilarious performance that ends up actually being the films most original, human and heartbreaking performance without the actor trying too hard, or being over the top or unconvincing. Also i think that this is the first time that ive seen a film that got 2 supporting nominations and that BOTH ARE VERY DESERVING!(ok maybe also The Help but i need to rewatch it). I also remember the last time seeing Forrest Gump and actually i was disappointed at both Field and Wright, Field(3.5) was interesting but played herself and Robin Wright(4) was just fine, nothing amazing, and i think that both could have shined much more.

    RispondiElimina
    Risposte
    1. You probably like her even more than me! I think she gives a great comedic performance, even if I personally don't see the depth and nuances of loneliness and vulnerability you do - I see Olive as a rather shallow person, even if Tilly makes her somewhat endearing. I agree that there are some similarities between her performance and Adams' in Junebug, but I think that Amy Adams' Ashley in Junebug is much richer from an emotional and psychological point of view, and she lacks the selfishness and pretentiousness of Olive.

      As for the two Forrest Gump actresses, I actually prefer Field and I think I'd give her a 4. I think she does a very effective job in a role that is little more than a stereotype: I think she brings the right amount of strenght, warmth and determination to her character and I found her final scene to be very moving. I would be less generous with Wright: I don't think she's bad and she has a fine chemistry with Tom Hanks, but I also believe that her character is a true mess that doesn't really cohere as a whole, even if she does try her best. I think I'd give her a 3, at best a 3.5.

      Elimina
    2. As for Tilly if i remember correctly, those little scenes are where she is having ,,an affair,, with Jim Broadbents character. There you could see that her character is a bit different than the one from the beginning. And also how nervous she was and how she ,,acted,, when her boss lover came in into her cabin. There is also that scene where her boss lover is bagging her for sex while she is playing something with cards. And i remember one part with her facial expression(although i do not remember exactly when did it happen) where you could clearly see how and what is she feeling. Also she is magnificent in her last scene!

      Btw i forgot about BABEL, another film with 2 outstanding and DESERVING nominations(Rinko SHOULD HAVE WON!)

      Elimina
    3. Yep, Babel's two nominees are terrific.

      As for Tilly, I think Olive's affair with Warner is not quite due to desperation and longing for love but more from boredom and carelessness. But I actually with the cards scene, that's quite an interesting one.

      Elimina
    4. I do agree that it possibly started due to her boredom and carelessness, but started turning into something else that even she didnt expect, like she was threw a sudden change(that could be shown in her dressing room and cards scenes, as well as her last scene and those few little moments-since how confused, nervous, more despreate she became and how quieter she also became, if we compare her first and last scene, as well as her scenes at the beginning of the rehearsals and around the premiere of the play, the difference in her character is quiet noticeable )

      Elimina
    5. The problem is that there should have been a bit more of a Tillys character(or Dianes as well, the film could have been 20 min longer), where she would have more time and space to show what her character was really like, and not just a hilarious walking ham circus with an annoying voice, which she in my opinion still hadnt portrayed and represented in that way, but more in a human like way while still being very charming and funny, and i give her two thumbs up for doing so.

      Elimina
    6. I really agree it would have been nice to see more of both Wiest and Tilly.

      Elimina
  3. Risposte
    1. He was actually nominated, so I'm afraid I can't share my rating and thoughts on his performance yet.

      Elimina
  4. Love her performance, more than the film actually which I find just OK.

    RispondiElimina
    Risposte
    1. I think the film is very good. Not necessarily amazing or flawless, but funny and enjoyable. Glad you like her performance!

      Elimina
  5. Giuseppe: When you get to 1984, I'd love for you to consider doing a bonus review of Natassja Kinski's work in Paris, Texas :) .

    RispondiElimina
    Risposte
    1. I've actually been thinking about it as it's one of my favorite performances ever, so I might do it. We'll see when I get to 1984 :)

      Elimina