domenica 22 maggio 2016

Best Actress in a Supporting Role 1955: Natalie Wood in Rebel without a Cause

Natalie Wood received her first Oscar nomination for her performance as Judy in Rebel without a Cause.


Rebel without a Cause is a very effective movie about a troubled teenager in Los Angeles who gets involved in a dangerous game that turns into tragedy. It's a great movie that is completely deserving of its iconic status, and the same goes for James Dean's leading performance. Nicholas Ray's direction is also terrific (the "Chicken Run" scene is masterfully directed) and I would also like to single out the gorgeous cinematography and the memorable score.

Natalie Wood plays the role of Judy, a rebellious sixteen-year-old girl who first appears in the movie at the beginning, in the scene at the police station in which she was brought because she was hanging out alone in the streets very late at night (and was probably mistaken for a streetwalker). Her conversation with the police officer is actually the highlight of her performance for me and I think she hits all of the emotional notes of the scene; I could see why someone would find her acting a bit too much but I think that in that moment the character is supposed to be an emotional mess and therefore her approach is perfectly fitting. She's actually quite heartbreaking in her portrayal of Judy's torment, whose rebellious attitude comes from an attempt to get her father's attention. She perfectly captures the angst and the turmoil that is common among teenagers and simply shows that Judy is just a girl that doesn't understand how everything around her, particularly her relationship with her parents, has changed so fast and why. She is also excellent in a later scene in which her father rejects her attempt to show him her affection - it's a rather touching moment entirely thanks to Wood's pitch-perfect reaction to the moment

In the scenes following the police station's one, Wood portrays perfectly Judy's façade that she puts on whenever she is with her friends. She properly shows that her behavior is very much a put on - in those scenes there is an underlying awkwardness and uncomfortableness in her portrayal that perfectly shows that Judy isn't really at ease with those guys and her fears of not being accepted by them if she acts sincere. The moment in which she suddenly drops the façade after Jim tells her that he's seen her at the police station is pitch-perfect and Wood does a great job in showing Judy's concern of having been seen in such a vulnerable state before quickly regaining the arrogance and self-confidence she needs to show in order to "go with the kids". But she is also very good in showing her growing admiration and interest towards Jim - unlike the others, he isn't afraid of being against the "kids" and doesn't need to be someone else. 

After the "Chicken Run" scene, Natalie Wood gets more scenes devoted to her relationship with Jim and the two actors do a fantastic job in showing their mutual attraction and then sincere love, which could have felt extremely rushed but thanks to their incredible chemistry it works. In their scenes together, they achieve a poignant intimacy that isn't quite sexual but more emotional - their scenes together are so beautiful before they show perfectly how Judy and Jim understand each other's problems and find a connection because of them. Judy's monologue about love in the abandoned mansion is one of the best moments in the movie and Natalie Wood delivers it with such tenderness and sincerity it's heartbreaking. 

In the last act of the movie, unfortunately, Natalie Wood doesn't get a whole lot to do but still her work here is extremely impressive and one of the best she has ever done. She delivers a moving portrayal of her character which she brings to life with vivid and compelling realism and shares a brilliant, tender chemistry with James Dean. She might not be what makes the movie iconic, but she is part of what makes the movie great. 

4.5/5

6 commenti:

  1. Rating/thoughts on Dean? I think this is the least impressive performance of his I've seen but that's not really saying much, I still give him a strong 4, on the cusp of a 4.5. I love him in East of Eden and he's my win for 1956 Supporting for Giant.

    I think I'll re-evaluate Wood soon though. You mentioned a lot of things about her performance I'd kind of taken for granted before. I think this is again my least favourite of the three films Dean did, which again isn't saying much as I liked East of Eden and LOVED Giant.

    RispondiElimina
    Risposte
    1. I have to see Giant. Anyway I love East of Eden and I prefer it over Rebel without a Cause, but I still like the latter very much and I think it's a great movie. Same goes for James Dean: I prefer him in East of Eden, but I think he's great in Rebel without a Cause as well.

      Dean in RWAC - 4.5 (He has a few overly mannered moments but ultimately I still find his performance to be pretty fantastic overall. He has an unique, charismatic screen-presence that always make him an utterly intriguing presence even in his weaker moments, and he does a great job in portraying his character's vulnerable emotional state. He also has a fantastic chemistry with both Natalie Wood and Sal Mineo, realizing Jim's relationships with Judy and Plato perfectly).

      Elimina
  2. I like her less. Wood is not my cup of tea, but here she gave her best perf. Sal Mineo is the MVP.

    RispondiElimina
    Risposte
    1. I like Natalie Wood. She's given some pretty great performance throughout her career, even if I can see why you're not a fan.

      Elimina
  3. I just love Nicholas Ray! His movies are wonderfully shot, and this is no exception. My favorites are this one, King of Kings (my favorite of his movies), Johnny Guitar, and On Dangerous Ground (55 Days at Peking and Party Girl are up there too)

    As for my ratings:

    Dean: 4.5
    Wood: 4.5
    Mineo: 4.5

    Not sure how to rate the others, but it is great to see a young Dennis Hopper!

    RispondiElimina
    Risposte
    1. I've yet to see King of Kings, Johnny Guitar and On Dangerous Ground, but I'm looking forward to them! I also agree it's interesting to see Dennis Hopper here even if he doesn't really do much.

      Elimina